The Supervisor will plan, coordinate and oversee a group or team to efficiently use available resources and maximize productivity in order to achieve set objectives and goals as set forth by Mary Brown’s Inc. The supervisor will act as a team leader and motivator for all staff, thus strong interpersonal skills and being a clear communicator are essential. Responsible for supervising, training and coaching to maintain Mary Brown’s company standards.
- Ensure all food items are marked with appropriate primary and secondary shelf life. Coach staff on this and follow up to enforce these standards.
- Utilize appropriate checklists. Eg: opening, closing, daily and weekly cleaning, etc. Coach staff on using their checklists and follow up to enforce these standards.
- Model performance standards on all stations. Coach staff on procedures and critical standards.
- Manage shifts without supervision.
- Coach, recognize, and motivate staff. Work to reach shift targets and celebrate achievements.
- Control and record any wastage.
- Support the business goals and educate staff on new products and promotions.
- Ensure staff practicing smart retailing and requesting guest feedback.
- Model safety and security procedures and promote food safety.
- Organize workflow and ensure staff understand their duties and delegated tasks.
- Monitor staff productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching.
- Keep all areas of the restaurant sanitary, including individual workstations.
- Set up workstations with all needed equipment and ingredients.
- Chop and peel vegetables.
- Prepare salads and potato products.
- Cut whole chickens.
- Fillet chicken breasts.
- Bread and cook vegetables and meat in fryers and ovens.
- Perform cleaning and maintenance duties on equipment.
- Offload grocery and other orders.
- Put away stock.
- Clean dishes, equipment, and floors.
- Portion salads, gravy, and side dishes.
- Greet all customers and make them feel welcome using Mary Brown’s service techniques.
- Prepare guests meals, ensuring highest quality taste and appearance.
- Enter all orders on the Point of Sales promptly and accurately.
- Suggestive sell by offering guests menu suggestions or additional items.
- Deliver food to guests’ tables.
- Maintain necessary supplies such beverages, containers and condiments for serving and packaging food.
- Demonstrate professionalism, courtesy and respect for customers and other staff members in all situations.
- Prepare guests orders, ensuring quality and accuracy
- Complete cleaning and maintenance duties of kitchen equipment including fryers, steamers, warmers, etc.
- Ensure speed standards are maintained.
- Read orders on a display screen and prioritize which items to prepare first.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Mary Brown’s reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at its discretion contingent on business need. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Attitude and Professionalism
- Actively participates in positive and constructive communication
- A team player, who provides support to colleagues and has a hands-on approach
- Conducts themselves in a solutions-based approach, solving problems collectively and reporting any concerns at an appropriate time to your manager
- Follows all policy and does not engage in any actions that may be perceived as conflicting with company policy regarding bullying, harassment, discrimination, and/or violence
- Does not engage in gossiping or spread disparaging remarks.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Adhere to all policies and plans through communication, action, and consistent enforcement.
- Effectively and efficiently perform all job functions following policy and leading by example.
- Stays up to date on all training as required and follows all health and safety, and sanitation policies enforcing with disciplinary action as needed.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a role in a similar restaurant environment.
- Must possess a positive attitude and work well with other team members.
- Must have previous preparation or line cook experience to the level required for your position.
- Be willing to follow direction and ask questions for clarification if needed.
Education / Certification
- Post-secondary education training or equivalent experience required.
- Current Food Handling Certificate is an asset.
- Able to understand direction using the English language.
- Organised, proactive, motivated and always contribute to team performance.
- Strong work ethic and time management skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- Ability to lead the team, and also take direction from management.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Must have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated, and organized.
- Commitment to quality service.
Physical Activities and Requirements of this position
- The occupation requires physical strength, good manual dexterity and the ability to stand for long periods in a fast-paced environment.
- Frequent environmental exposures to cold, heat, water and noise.
- Good eyesight, hearing, and agility with assistive devices as needed.
- Able to safely lift items weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Health and safety practices must be rigorously adhered to. Other preventive measures such as verbal warnings of hot objects, spillages and the fact you are moving in a certain direction behind other workers all help to keep everyone safe.
Occupational health & safety requirements
All supervisors and managers are directly responsible for ensuring the health and safety of workers under their supervision. They must ensure that workers are operating in a manner as required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations in addition to company health and safety policies and procedures. Supervisors must inform all workers of the existence of any potential or actual risk to the health or safety of the worker of which the supervisor is aware, and must provide direction and instruction, in writing where prescribed, for safe measures to be taken during the course of their work.