Job Title: Sr. Project Manager, Construction
Reports to: Director, Construction, MBIB
The Senior Project Manager’s core purpose is to manage projects from pre-construction stages through to completion in accordance with the Development Plan. Manage Mary Brown’s construction projects including, but not limited to new stores, renovation and special projects. This position will be responsible to effectively communicate and coordinate with the construction team to complete the projects as forecasted in the schedule, while maintaining the standards and expectations set forth by Mary Brown’s Construction Department.
- Take ownership of new projects from the start of the design phase to the end of the construction process planning, designing, coordinating, pricing, managing and delivering new store builds, relocations, renovations, rebrands, store maintenance, roll-outs, and corporate initiatives.
- Review, understand, edit and present, architectural /construction drawings, permit set drawings, MEP and structural drawings, elevations, details, sign, graphics and millworks shop drawings.
- Manage all phases of construction from the process of initial design phase, permitting, tendering, architectural review, signage, and graphics (interior and exterior) development.
- Develop and manage project scope of work, scheduling, cost control, purchase orders, change orders, ensuring information is communicated to site and clients in an accurate and suitable manner
- Implements leading edge, efficient, cost effective store formats and layouts, equipment, materials etc. to satisfy the needs of individual markets for new and renovated stores.
- Liaise effectively with corporate team members, franchisees, general contractors, landlords, vendors and suppliers, and architectural and engineering consultants.
- Ability to communicate effectively with MBI franchisees and provide the utmost customer care.
- Ensures MB approved national store design brand standards, provincial and national construction industry code standards and life safety measures are supported.
- Ensure projects remain on schedule, are delivered on time, and remain within budget.
- Manage multiple and concurrent projects including various rollout projects (new POS system, signage rollouts, etc.)
- Develop and manage project budgets (preliminary and tender) to reconciliation.
- Manage new contractor pre-qualification process and ensure that contractor portfolio, CCDC etc., is obtained for effective pre-screening.
- Initiate and direct the tender process, supporting GC requests from inception to job awarding, and supervise the contractor throughout the build.
- Complete final construction check and deficiencies with contractors.
- Collect and record all close-out documentation with contractor, municipality, landlord and consultants and obtain and provide all correspondence required to obtain TA.
- Manage and co-ordinate all equipment for store opening, assemble and troubleshoot as required.
- Equipment maintenance (general) for corporate and franchise stores.
- Communicate cross-functionally within corporate platform (HR, Finance, Franchising, Real Estate, Operations, Legal and Marketing) to achieve project requirements.
- Adheres to all policies and plans through communication, action, and consistent enforcement.
- Effectively and efficiently perform all tasks to lead by example.
- Stays up to date on all training as required and follows all health and safety, and sanitation policies enforcing with disciplinary action as needed.
- Establishes new/ updated policy and standards on-site with prior approval from the Director or VP of Construction.
Attitude and Professionalism
- Actively participates in positive and constructive communication with the Construction Team.
- A team player, who provides support to colleagues and has a hands-on approach.
- A goal minded individual, prepared to work as part of a high functioning team, interested in self-improvement, growth, and development.
- Provide effective troubleshooting in resolving conflicts while searching for the root cause of issues.
- Conducts themselves in a solutions-based approach, solving problems collectively and reporting any concerns at an appropriate time to your manager.
- Follows all policy and does not engage in any actions that may be perceived as conflicting with company policy regarding bullying, harassment, discrimination, and/or violence.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. MBI Brands reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at its discretion contingent on business need. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- 8+ years of previous project management experience in construction for commercial new build projects in Canada.
- A valid provincial drivers’ licence.
- Proficient in Architectural construction drawings, permit set drawings, including MEP and structural drawings. Proficient in Microsoft Office; Excel, Outlook, Word, Smartsheet, Adobe Professional Suite, Power Point, MS Project. AutoCAD knowledge is an asset.
- Experience in accounting principles to monitor costs, prepare budgets / expenses & reports.
- Mature professional judgment and professionalism in handling all matters.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide effective trouble-shooting skills and apply conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work in a team and able to communicate effectively.
- Possesses an overwhelming sense for “Exceptional Customer Service”.
Education / Certification
- Completion of a university degree or completion of a college degree in a related field, preferably project management and construction.
- Project Management Professional (PMP certification) is an asset
Physical Activities and Requirements of this position
- Corporate office and retail store environment
- The position may require long hours of sitting/ standing, and using office equipment and computers
- Must be willing to travel – some overnight travel may be required
Occupational health & safety requirements
All supervisors and managers are directly responsible for ensuring the health and safety of workers under their supervision. They must ensure that workers are operating in a manner as required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations in addition to company health and safety policies and procedures. Supervisors must inform all workers of the existence of any potential or actual risk to the health or safety of the worker of which the supervisor is aware, and must provide direction and instruction, in writing where prescribed, for safe measures to be taken during the course of their work.
MBI Brands is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Accommodations during the application process are available upon request.